Wednesday 29 June 2016

More than colour: Smiggle stationery for children and adults with learning disabilities


Having just been successful in gaining employment with the vibrant Australian stationery brand, Smiggle, I wanted to make sure I was fully up to speed on their product range. Whilst I was browsing their website, a thought came to me. There is more to this than just funky colours. Something I remembered from my own time at school and more recently working in a private girls school, I recalled that colourful stationery items were used to help engage those with learning difficulties. The most commonly known adjustment in schools, I think, is offering yellow paper instead of white for dyslectics - however the benefits of colourful stationery far exceed that. I needed to know more.

As I am going to be on the front line, selling these products, I wanted to understand exactly why such items help those with learning difficulties and also understand the conditions themselves in much more depth. Every day at Smiggle, I will never know what type of customer will be entering the store. That one day where a parent, whose child has a learning difficulty, comes in I want to be able to offer expert product knowledge and understanding, right from the off. I am a firm believer in removing barriers, if at all possible, when it comes to education. As there seems to be strong evidence that funky Smiggle stationery can help children and adults with learning difficulties fulfill their potential - I felt compelled to ‘put it out there’ in this blog post.

Less serious sounding conditions, like being a fidget, can be assisted by Smiggle products too. Although fidgeting sounds harmless enough, it can be a symptom of emotional stress and can impact a child's capability to learn and concentrate, just as fiercely as more common named conditions. The following products can help to occupy busy fingers and assist children to focus their minds on the learning task in hand. The very same items can help children with Autism.

The HUGE popularity of the Smiggle Puzzle Snake is getting close to the craze for the Rubik's cube - with kids uploading tutorial videos online on how to make various different shapes and objects from this one toy!



Neon Squeeze Goo - a kid friendly version of a stress ball

Stackable Rainbow Pencil - take apart the individual pencils and rebuild in a sequence of your choosing

Smiggle Maze Pen - ball bearing maze puzzle to aid cognitive function

Jelly Twist Eraser - same principle as the executive stress balls of the 80s

Stack Them Highlighter - take apart the individual highlighters and rebuild in your choice of pattern

Build Highlighter - big chunky Lego style highlighter pens

Smiggle Ruler - enter another dimension by simply looking down the inside of this nifty little ruler

A pencil case is a normal part of classroom equipment so children using this will not stand out from other students. Cool designs available for both boys and girls. The fact different parts pop out and up adds interest and extra functionality to an everyday school stationery item - Yums Pop Out Pencil Case



Physical conditions can also be aided by Smiggle products. Take for instance their Get a Grip pencil grips. Not only suitable for children having difficulties learning to write, but also ideal for adults with diminished grip resulting from arthritis or stroke.

Stroking different materials can help Autistic children concentrate and can be used as an alternative to a fidget toy.






Needless to say, I am extremely excited to begin my job at Smiggle. Hopefully I will get chance to put my research into action and help anyone with learning difficulties chose funky stationery, that doesn't just look good but also makes learning that little bit easier.

Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional. Any thoughts offered up here are my own. If you are researching yourself for ideas on how to help a child with learning disabilities please read further than just this article. Other brands are available.

No comments:

Post a Comment